Personal tools
You are here: Home Groupspace Eratosthene Ecole de Xewkija
National sites
Site européen
Allemagne Lettonie
Autriche Lituanie
Belgique Luxembourg
Chypre Norvège
Danemark Pays-Bas
Espagne Pologne
Estonie Portugal
Finlande Royaume-Uni
Géorgie Slovaquie
Irlande Suisse

Rosa Magro Primary School

Document Actions
The Xewkija Primary School opened its doors in a house in Triq Santa Katerina on 2nd December, 1861 with Emanuele Montanaro as the first headmaster. 
It catered for boys only.In 1862, a second school was opened for girls with Carmela Bonello as first headmistress. 
In 1937, both schools were moved to two different premises in Triq it-Tigrija (today known as Triq l-Indipendenza).

download video file

By the early 1950's, there were no less than seven houses used as temporary schools. 
On 24th October, 1955, the Government began the building of a spacious modern school in Triq il-Hamrija (Soil Street).   
All infant and primary boys and girls of Xewkija assembled for the first time in the new school in 31st March 1958. 
On  25th March 1999, the primary school was renamed Rosa Magro, a former headmistress and philanthropist from Xewkija (born 23rd December, 1899 and died 1st May, 1968).

Photo gallery 2007

Xewkija Eratosthenes Blog

by Eric Vayssié last modified 2008-10-26 00:38
« June 2024 »
Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 Powered by Plone, the Open Source Content Management System